<body>

Shqipo's Virtual Mumblings

Shqipo's personal blog, about anything and nothing.

New Year's celebration - or lack of it.

Yesterday was one of the most uneventful New Year's Eve I've had. Is that an indication of what the future ones will be like when you have kids? I sure hope not!

During the day, I went over at some old friends of mine (Albanian) to wish them a Happy New Year. Brought some wine (Pinot Noir and Bordeaux), part of which we consumed with some nice appetizers.

We had been contemplating about going to one of several Albanian gatherings/parties (food, drinks, music) but, frankly, it was a bit too expensive for what we can currently afford. Plus, a couple of our friends weren't going to be there so it wasn't really worth it.

Eda made some dinner (nothing very special) and I opened a nice bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon (reserve) that I've been saving. Then, for the first time, we watched the Dick Clark New Year show from Times Square (yawn). Watched the ball drop at midnight and then fell asleep around 1 or so. Now, how lame is that? It's probably the most boring New Year's Eve I've ever had!

I remember back in the old country, we used to celebrate it big time. First we'd start with a "family" rotation: both uncles (and their families) would come and have dinner/appetizers and home-made wine at our place, then we'd all go to each of them. It was fun because everyone had prepared different types of food, and the type of wine was different as well. This would be the first night we'd open the wine made that year, so we'd compare quality - no, it wasn't the typical "swirl and spit" type of tasting, so we'd get a bit buzzed. After midnight, we'd go to my aunt's. As I grew older, I'd go out with friends after midnight and stay out till the morning hours.

The first 3-4 years here in the States, I was lucky as the friend who paid for my undergrad would fly me to their house in Palm Springs (what a beautiful change from the cold and snowy Michigan!) and on New Year's Eve we'd be all dressed up (tuxedo) and go to this big Gala at the Ritz Carlton in Rancho Mirage. Imagine that, a 19-year old long-haired boy from Albania mingling with retired Hollywood stars and "Golden Era" singers/musicians, high profile executives or business owners, etc. Eh... those were the days... .
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment