<body>

Shqipo's Virtual Mumblings

Shqipo's personal blog, about anything and nothing.

Viva Las Vegas!

I wrote a few days ago a little angry at the people who refused (or ignored orders, pleas, etc.) to move out of the city of New Orleans as Katrina was coming to party down on Burboun St. Then, seeing in what condition those people were living in, I felt bad and thought that maybe they had no means of transportation or paying for hotel somewhere else.

However, the little evil in the back of my head keeps bugging me that, perpaps these people were simply thinking "why should I move, the gov't will take care of me, just like it has done so far."

Anyway, as I'm reading the news this morning trying to wake up my brain, I read how the Sin City (for those who don't know, Las Vegas) has welcomed the New Orleans evacuees. I think it's great, there are plenty of hotels in L.V., although it is quite far from N.O. And then, as I reading further down, I thought "wait a second! Vegas?? So...since these people are used to gambling and drinking, they have be accomodated as close to their previous conditions as possible?"

And yes, it's an all expenses paid 5-day vacation paid by local businesses and the Red Cross! So, that's why we're donating money to the Red Cross, so they can gamble and drink... because they refused to leave their home in the first place? I wonder if we're paying for strippers and stress-relieving visits to the Bunny Ranch... .

If you think I'm exgerating, read what the evacuees are saying
"My mind is all Las Vegas," said Cummings, a 21-year-old college student. "I just want to get drunk, see some shows and eat some good food."

Any comments?

Here's the news

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

By Blogger Josue', at 9:07 PM EDT

Woah!!! That is crazy...Uh, time to rethink some things...I cannot believe that would be for a majority of people though....That sounds really crazy....:(    



By Blogger shqipo, at 9:30 PM EDT

I'm pissed! This is what I wrote to Red Cross:

I've donated $$ Red Cross as well as provide/advertise links to your website from several websites I operate. I was shocked and angry when I read in the news that several Katrina evacuees from New Orleans were taken on a 5-day, all-expense paid vacation retreat to Las Vegas paid by local businesses AND Red Cross!

I gave money - and I'm sure all the other donors feel the same - so these people could be saved and given food and shelter, not to support gambling and drinking!

I demand an immediate public explanation and apology from Red Cross. And since what's done it's done and you can't turn these people away, I demand that these expenses covered from Red Cross for this retreat be reimbursed to Red Cross by those who took this decision!    



» Post a Comment