<body>

Shqipo's Virtual Mumblings

Shqipo's personal blog, about anything and nothing.

Ah, the politicians...

The jury is still out on which one is the oldest profession, politics or prostitution. Frankly, I don't think there's a difference, and probably prostitution became a money-making profession simply to provide funding for politics. Although I do like to get involved (rather often, unfortunately) in friendly political debates with friends, I don't think I would call myself a true politician. That's because true politicians, apparently, are making much more $$$ than I am.

One of the reasons why I decided to stay in this great country after completing my education were political conditions (besides economic one, which are closely tied) in the old country. It's very true that the political system had already changed from a centralized communist one to a supposedly pluralist democracy - and I'm very proud that I did help for that to happen, even at a young age. However, things didn't go as they should've and the old cast of communist politicians simply changed their coats and, Voila , they continued to hold the power.

There was one "small" difference though: they figured out that this democracy thing was actually a great way to get rich. And rich did they get, becoming millionaires (valued in US $, not Albanian Leks) overnight. But that's not because they invented a new product or a new service or even used an old product or service to build a company. They simply discovered corruption. How much easier can it get if you get paid under the table for a signature that, afterall, it's your part of your job? So, corruption, just like in other former communist countries, became the main revenue generator in Albania.

Corruption/bribery has actually become so common that I wouldn't be surprised if they create a law to legitimize it. Everyone is well aware of it, from politicians who fight furiously to get any kind of government position, to Albanians who live in Albania and go through it everyday, to Albanians abroad who get involved into discussions at coffee shops. Even US politicians are well aware of it. With all this awarenesss, however, nothing has been done to change this status quo.

Because I considered the political system in the US to be almost flawless, I always wondered why the US hasn't taken any measures (as part of our foreign policy) to help change that situation there. And I've been puzzled where did the Albanian politicians learn so quickly to become such creative corruptedd officials. But after I read this news (link below) from Associated Press, all my questions were answered. I will make no more comments...for now.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050822/ap_on_go_co/politicians_scandals
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment