<body>

Shqipo's Virtual Mumblings

Shqipo's personal blog, about anything and nothing.

You're wasting my money for what?

I always wear a seat belt when I drive; if I don't wear one, I feel that something is missing and start freaking out a little. In Albania, you are considered "cool" and "tough" if you don't wear one. Apparently, it is the same case here in the US, where redneck country boys think they're better off without wearing one. Well, sure, they can show how tough they are when they fly through the windshield and spill their brains out on the hot concrete.

It is sad that even some people that I know here, who are not rednecks, prefer not to wear one. I hope they come to their senses, for their own safety.

What pisses me off is that some government entity is spending millions of dollars advertising the seatbelt-wearing laws. Of course, this is not the only program where my hard-earned tax dollars are wasted for no reason whatsoever, but it's just one I decided to talk about.

First of all: why is there a need to spend millions to make people aware of something that it's already a law? "Wear your seatbelt or we'll ticket you" No shit! Theoretically, one can not pass the driving license exam if one doesn't know these laws. Why the hell do they need to spend millions to remind them again?

Second of all: so what if they don't want to wear seatbelts? Why should I give a damn and pay for these stupid ads? It's not like seatbelts have effects on other people, such as drunk driving. If one decides not to wear one, they're only affecting themselves. Why spend money making the obvious even more obvious? If they don't care for their own safety, why should I?
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

By Blogger ITS, at 12:57 PM EDT

I think I can help understanding this one. Just like you pointed out the cultural differences between countries, there are also time differences.

I lived with an American family back in 97, and the couple were old, 80s. They had been driving for 50 years. Now, the seatbelt was introduced only in the 1980s if I am correct, so before that cars didn't even have them.

The old couple refused to wear them, as they would never get used to that idea. The problem was that they set a bad example for their kids, grandkids.

I think educational campaigns on this issue are not too bad. They are better than campaigns on collecting your phone records...    



By Blogger Lily, at 5:49 PM EDT

I really don't see where you're coming from there.I think it's important that a government spends money in keeping it's citizens safe, what else could be more important...
First of all, people who use vehicles are not all drivers, the passengers need to be reminded to wear seatbelts too. Anyway, just how would you be aware of a law if it wasn't widely publicised?
Secondly, if the campaign does make even 200 people wear seatbelts and subsequently save their lives it would be worth it. Sometimes people do need these reminders, look at what difference the anti-smoking adverts have made. You're never going to "convert" everyone, but at least some people will change their habits. Oh, and if I was you I'd be worrying about the bigger and less ethical ways your taxes are wasted *cough*pointless wars*cough*.;)    



By Blogger Rich | Championable, at 7:47 PM EDT

Actually, seat belts help a driver stay in position, and therefore in control of his car. It DOES protect other people.

Motorcycle helmet laws, on the other hand, are complete crap. Even though I wear a helmet when I ride my bike or scooter.    



By Blogger Selfmaderadio, at 7:40 AM EDT

L.,

in the land of swiss no one can understand this topic at all, 'cause no one would ever think driving without that seatbelt fixed and fixed well. Full stop! No one would ever put a child in a car without the special child chair and fix the seatbealt on it. Such subjects are settled already last century.
Fixing a seatbealt it has become like cleaning the teeth, you don't think about it, you do it regularly when it has to be done. But, hm, there are countries like ours where not even 1% does clean the teeth. And then, one needs to make the campagne and spend millions to educate and to ... save more money. 'cause using a seatbealt, like cleaning the teath, cuts the money you would need to pay to repair your body and your health.    



» Post a Comment