<body>

Shqipo's Virtual Mumblings

Shqipo's personal blog, about anything and nothing.

Lifetime sentences

I can't say I know the legal system that well, hence my ignorance of not understand the whole point of sentencing someone with more than one lifetime prison sentence. What exactly does it mean for someone to be in jail for 3 life sentences? Are judges playing God and punishing someone not just for this lifetime, but for the supposedly next one as well? Does it mean that, after this convicted criminal dies in prison, his body will still be buried inside the prison - or left rotting in his cell? If he's dead, what are the other life sentences for?!
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

By Blogger Lily, at 5:47 PM EDT

In many countries life doesn't mean a lifetime in prison, it can vary from around 25 years and can be as low as 15, then the person can be considered for parole.
For serious crimes, or multiple murders the judge then gives 3 life sentences for each crime committed, ensuring the criminal realistically never becomes eligible for parole and probably dies in prison.
I think that's what it means anyway. This is so complicated and different to each country.    



By Blogger Josue', at 5:56 PM EDT

Welcome to the world of US Law. The legal system has some pretty archaic "rules" that attorneys follow (or manipulate; I suppose it depends on which side you are on) in the court room.

It's just like the whole idea of the goal being to sue for 10million, but the attorney says they are suing for 30million to actually get 10. Does that make sense?    



By Blogger Rich | Championable, at 9:48 PM EDT

Actually, Londonlilly is correct if the sentences are to be served consecutively. You can be sented to three ten year terms, but if they are served concurrently, it's the same amount of time.

Ah, law.    



By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:33 PM EDT

suppose for a moment that there is a second person who confesses of doing the deed, or new evidence comes forward exonerating the convicted for one of the killings. if he is to serve 3 life sentences, then one less killing doesnt affect the sentencing and there is no need to go back and either recalculate or come up with a new trial.    



By Blogger ITS, at 4:39 PM EDT

Which made me think of "Where I am From" lyrics by "The Game"

...
Y'all niggaz got it fucked up
What you thought cause I'm from Compton I couldn't do numbers like Usher?
Platinum certified, nigga that's a mill' plus
Play both sides of the fence cause the Crips feel cuz'
See me ridin with Nate, nigga it's still Blood
You can C-walk to this, homey it's still love
Nigga I've been bangin since Mary J. did "Real Love"
(If you don't know) I painted the Rover black
The West coast is back, I can smoke to that
Moms got the CL-6, that's a fact
I bought the house, I'm just waitin on the platinum plaques
Niggaz lookin for a cat to jack
Homey I'm willin to do two life sentences back to back
So please don't push me..
You niggaz is W-N-B-A, all pussy
...    



By Blogger shqipo, at 10:25 PM EDT

Not a good one, "nigga" was only mentioned 6 times :P    



By Blogger ITS, at 8:08 AM EDT

you are missing the point...

"Homey I'm willin to do two life sentences back to back
So please don't push me..."    



By Blogger shqipo, at 8:35 AM EDT

I saw that, homey, I was just trying to be funny, that's all :)

Peace    



By Blogger Josue', at 10:25 AM EDT

The real situation in all of this is that shqipo would not be able to point out THE GAME in a lineup if his life depended on it.... :p

Admit it. This is THE first time in your life you have ever heard of that guy....    



By Blogger shqipo, at 4:32 PM EDT

When did I deny that josue'?    



By Blogger Josue', at 12:23 AM EDT

I never said that you did...tell me, do you know who he is? did you know who he was?    



By Blogger shqipo, at 8:31 AM EDT

It's a he? Nope, no idea who he is. But that's why I have Rican friends like you who are follow the street so closely and update me once in a while :)    



By Blogger Josue', at 4:37 PM EDT

is that some sort of backhanded compliment? :p    



» Post a Comment