<body>

Shqipo's Virtual Mumblings

Shqipo's personal blog, about anything and nothing.

Original sin?!

I was invited to take photos at the baptism of a good friend (I think...) of mine's daughter. All went well, people were happy and excited, and I think I took some decent photos - at least the "client" like them (or so he said).

The priest was an older Italian-born man. At the beginning of the ceremony, he started to explain how the little girl was now going to be free and clean from her original sin. I lowered my camera when I heard that. Those words stuck with me ever since.

What kind of sin could a 4-month old bay do? Did she poop more than what the priests allow? Did she suck on her mom's breast a little too hard? And just what the hell is the "original" sin? Does this mean that she was already born as a sinner? What sinful things could she have done inside her mother's womb? Did she exceed the number of kicks she's allowed? Or did she "hit" (as in drink from) the umbilical cord too much?

I was in a hurry and busy taking photos so I didn't get a chance to ask that nice priest what did he exactly mean by what he said. And I didn't want to upset my friend either. So I never got an answer to my question(s). If someone does know what sin the priest was talking about, I'd appreciate it if you could tell me.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

By Blogger Josue', at 10:57 PM EST

wikipedia saves the day again.


why would your friend have gotten mad at you for asking a simple question?    



By Blogger shqipo, at 10:59 AM EST

Thnx Rich for the answer. I guess I should've made it more clear that I was being sarcastic. I don't know why, but I think I'm "well-read" when it comes to different religions. In short, I do know what they mean by "original sin" but still makes no sense to me whatsoever! I guess I should write something about this in a different post - if I find some time... .

@josue': I don't know, I tried to avoid any issues since my friend is know to be quite "anal" and short-tempered :p    



By Blogger bizele, at 3:38 PM EST

I think the idea of original sin, is one of the many absurd things about religions. It's one of those things that people just accept as such, and even if it doesn't make much sense they do not question it whatsoever, just like many other religious dogma.

I am so happy to be free of religion....    



» Post a Comment