<body>

Shqipo's Virtual Mumblings

Shqipo's personal blog, about anything and nothing.

Organized labor, a.k.a. Unions

As most people know, Michigan's main industry is automotive manufacturing (and suppliers). Hence, organized labor is still quite powerful.

Ever since I got brainwashed at my Alma Mater, I am skeptical of the efficiency of unions and whether they really care about employees or just another venue for union officials to get paid through membership dues (or other unlawful ways...). Don't get me wrong, I think unions have done quite a bit to protect the employees - but this was many years ago.

Back to my point: I caught a bit of local news on TV where they were talking about GM employees' last day to take advantage of GM's offer for early retirement. In order to cut costs, and in light of not being able to keep up with the Japanese auto manufacturers, GM has offered voluntary early retirements to all those that qualify. They expect about 30,000 employees to take that offer. Those who don't... well, they'll probably still be employed, but you never know when the next cut is coming down.

What made me shake my head in disbelief was the head of the local UAW in Pontiac, MI. These are her first words "Oh yeah, the early retirement is a great devastation, we're going to lose a lot of our membership dues." WTF?? So, low and behold, UAW isn't about protecting worker's rights, it's about collecting membership dues!

On Monday, I'm petitioning to have a union organized at my place of employment... why not, I can be elected an official and make more than what I'm making now.

As always, I love America!

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment