<body>

Shqipo's Virtual Mumblings

Shqipo's personal blog, about anything and nothing.

Memory

A while ago I wrote here how I think I've been having issues with my short-term memory. I was/am worried, although I can find excuses for myself such as the crazy multi-tasking, having to worry (and remember) all these things at the same time, etc.

However, I started reading more what I could do. It appears that certain fruits and vegetables help - but they're already part of my diet. So I went and bought some OTC Ginkgo Biloba. Now, if I can only remember to take them twice a day... .

I had heard about "tips" to enhance memory by associations, even this article suggests it. Is it just me or is this kind of non-sense? Can anyone tell me how, trying to remember all those stupid other "mnemonics" or whatever, can help with memory? So if I want to remember, e.g. the Great Lakes (based on their example), I first have to remember HOMES, and then I have to remember what it stands for. It's like trying to scratch your left ear with your right hand - around the back of your head.

Confession: I started this post on June 29th, 2006
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

By Blogger Rich | Championable, at 8:52 PM EDT

10.78 words a day, amigo?

:-)

I tried to scrach my left ear with my right hand around the back of my head, and I collapsed in a shaking heap on the floor of the 6 train in Manhattan.

Then they took my wallet.

Then, my shoes.

Then, I can't even SAY.

Thanks man. Thanks.    



By Blogger Lily, at 4:22 AM EDT

I'm not sure the mnemonic thing is all that useful for remembering random day to day things, such as where you left your keys. But it works if you need to remember specific bits of information, like in an examinations. I still remember the planets like this:
My Very Energetic Mother Just Served Us New Potatoes.    



By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:27 PM EDT

I remember Nine Pizzas... neptune pluto

and

Never Eat Sour Weanies

(North, East, South, West)    



By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:04 PM EDT

@rich: Well... r u sure that happened because of that little experiment and not because you were busy taking ppl's photos on your cell phone? :P

@london and @adjunky: so... how easy is to first remember what your mother did, then remember what those first letters stand for? I think I'm right on this one, for a change    



» Post a Comment